Monday, May 24, 2010

Suffering, Part I


So when April came around we had worked our way up to 60+ miles. Here is our friend Zane, on the left, and Dave getting ready to ride out to what would be a long, wet day.



Yay! Lunch at China Camp. It's so pretty. {heavy sarcasm}


I'm sure this is pretty when the sun shines & it is not about to open up to lashing rain.


Even this goose mocked us. HONK!

I freaked out a little. It was drizzling, I insisted Zane & Dave go ahead since they are faster riders, and I suddenly realized I had no idea where I was, can I even read a map that Google has not created? And I looked up to see the Marin Civic Center! http://www.greatbuildings.com I almost started crying. It's a great building and I love Frank Lloyd Wright just as much as the next guy, but this is no where near my neighborhood. I remember this taking a long time to drive to in a car, on a highway! And then I was supposed to just stay to the left of the on-ramp to the highway and cross underneath the expressway. Oh, OK...???? I had a little bit of a panic but after a few minutes another rider showed up & crossed with me. We lived to tell the tale.

It felt so damn good to finish that ride. That was not a fun 63 miles but I'm glad I did it. I've been taking spin classes as well and I have this one teacher, who I really like, but always cheerfully reminds us cycling is really all about suffering. At first I thought he was a total lunatic but I think I agree with him now. During this time in my training, AIDS/Lifecycle also sponsored a mental fitness training by a fellow cyclist who works as a sports psychologist. He explained it a little further... suffering = pain + meaning. 

If you know me and you are reading this blog, I don't need to explain the meaning behind me wanting to support HIV/AIDS services. Or why I need to push myself harder. I am so grateful for the opportunity to breath through a little suffering. If climbing a steep hill is the hardest thing I have to suffer through, I am a very lucky person. Thank you for supporting my AIDS/Lifecycle ride! It sounds hokey, but this training has been a very transformative experience for us- physically, mentally, and spiritually as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment