Monday, May 24, 2010

Day on the Ride & Castro Spin

So AIDS/Lifecycle participants got a chance to do a training ride that was set up like an actual day, hence the name "Day On The Ride." It was a well-marked 70 mile ride with motorcycle crews & folks w/traffic flags to guide you to places like entering Interstate 280 and crossing Hwy 1! Uhhh....yeah, really.

We got there at 5:00AM so I could get a bike fitting at Sports Basement. They opened early just for AIDS/Lifecycle. (A bike fitting is just adjusting your bike to fit your body correctly- seat & handle bar height, making sure the clips on your bike shoes are adjusted to the right spot. Little adjustments can make a huge difference when you're riding long distances. I had no idea before doing this.)
Then we met everyone in the back- there were at least a few hundred riders that day. One of our favorite, devoted ride leaders, Kurt, was named SF AIDS Foundation's volunteer of the month. (the blondie on the left)
We did warm ups & heard the safety speech and as always, had a moment of silence to remember why we ride and imagine a day when HIV will be gone & we will have a celebration ride!
Somebody's coffee hasn't kicked in yet... 
18 miles later, definitely awake at rest stop one.

They had fully supported rest stops about every 20 miles with food, powerade, water, bike techs, and volunteers in hilarious costumes cheering you on.  Oh! And many port-a-potties-- DON'T BE JEALOUS! We're really excited to use port-a-potties all day, everyday for seven days straight. That's really why we signed up! (gag)

It was a challenging day riding to San Carlos & back! There was a ton of climbing and entering & riding on the shoulder of the expressway was completely insane and terrifying, but the final time we pedaled onto the freeway, a roadie volunteer yelled, Thank you! I love you, cyclists! and that made my day. I wish I had taken more photos but I just wanted to make sure I finished in time. The route closed at 5PM.
Such a good feeling! We were cheered on by co-workers, volunteers and other riders and we needed it! Coming up that last hill into the Presidio, Dave's chain popped off & I couldn't maintain my balance & actually grabbed onto the door handle of a huge SUV. I think it was a hummer, yes it was turned off/parked, and thankfully no one was inside. And then we chowed down on a spaghetti dinner in the back of the Sports Basement. 
The next day I got up a little later, had coffee- even the coffee is bicycle! Everything is bikes! And Dave dropped me off in the Castro. One of my longtime BFFs, Erika, not only lives in the Castro but actually lives on Castro Street and helped me out all morning. 
 My co-worker & friend, Russ, lent me his bike trainer to make the bike stationary.
I did stationary spin for about 4-5 hours. Most of my donations came from people who had done the ride, were also doing the ride, or had friends doing the ride as well. I think I made about $120 while training & catching up with Erika.
Erika kept me hydrated & my friends Jesus & Ciara came by and checked in on me too- Thanks!!! 
It was a HOT day. At one point, a completely naked man walked by... no we did not get his picture. 



2 comments:

  1. i'm so excited for you guys. i caught up on the blog. very proud and jealous of y'all. xoxo bryzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! your support is very appreciated! i hope we get to celebrate w/you in LA. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete